The Generosity Gallery shares the stories of Masonic benevolence that helped create the Masonic Home of Missouri. It shares stories of individuals, Masonic Lodges, Eastern Star Chapters, and other organizations that contributed to founding and sustaining the Masonic Home.
The Generosity Gallery also highlights the transition of the Masonic Home from facilities throughout Missouri.
In 1846, John C. Ralls was elected Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Missouri. On display is his Past Grand Masters Jewel engraved on the front with the following: “Presented by the MW Gr Lodge of AF AM Masons of Missouri”, “For MW John Ralls P Gr Master In token of Fraternal regards” and “May 5861” The back of the Jewel has the words “Friendship”, “Morality” and “Brotherly Love” engraved. In 1875, PGM Ralls introduced the resolution to create the Masonic Home.
In 1886 Knight Templars from all over the United States gathered in St. Louis for a week of speeches, drill competitions, band concerts, dinners, sightseeing and camaraderie. Men wore ribbons identifying their home commanderies. A Grand Concert was held with $35,000 raised for the benefit of the Masonic Home which became the nucleus for the Masonic Home building fund.
On display is the letter asking for lodge participation in the Masonic Home dedication, a commemorative coin from the event and an event ticket. A ticket to attend the 1889 dedication cost 50 cents for adults and 25 cents for children.
John D. Vincil was Grand Master from 1866-1867 and 1868-1869 and Grand Secretary for 27 years. He assisted with the formation of the Order of the Eastern Star in Missouri in 1875, serving as the first Worthy Grand Patron, and when the General Grand Chapter was organized in 1876, he was selected as the first Most Worthy Grand Patron. In 1904, PGM Vincil was honored with a 50th Anniversary dinner at the original St. Louis Masonic Temple.
Jacob Lampert was Grand Master from 1912 to 1913. MWB Lampert was as strong supporter of the Masonic Home serving on the Board of Directors from 1916 until he passed away in 1921. PGM Lampert’s friends gave him this silver cup in recognition of his service as Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Missouri.